Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Inaugural Run for the Dream Half Marathon Review

One thing I now know!  Williamsburg has a lot of rolling hills!  Last weekend I had the opportunity to run in the inaugural Run for the Dream Half Marathon held in Williamsburg Virginia.  I was very happy with the experience and here is feedback about the event:

This event spanned the etire weekend with two races.  An 8k on Saturday (21 May) and the 1/2 Marathon (22 May).

Proceeds from the event benefited "An Achievable Dream", which is a nationally recognized K-12 school dedicated to the belief that all children can learn and succeed regardless of their socioeconomic backgrounds, and that education can break the cycle of poverty.

The race also benefitted the Wounded Warriors Program, which is dedicated to assisting and advocating for the severely wounded, ill and injured members of the armed forces and for their families.

So running for two good causes made it even more of a pleasure hit those hill's I'm going to talk about.

I participated in the 1/2.  

Packet pickup was at the Colonial Williamsburg Visitors Center.  It was an easy stop and they had just the right amount of vendors to load up on free gear, taste test and GU for the race.  The race shirt was a short sleeve moisture-wicking tee that was pretty nice. I had noticed from studying the map earlier in the week that they had a "ton" of water stops planned.  So I decided to not go with my Nathan fuel belt and picked up a SpiBelt to run with instead.  (Review coming soon) I was in and out in about five minutes. My kind of packet pick-up!

The start was very relaxed.  It didn't feel like a race at all even though they had some top runners from the region trying to establish primo times for this inaugural event.  About 2000 runners were present at the start.  Several shuttles were running from the visitors center where the bulk of the parking was to the start line.  Or your other option was to be dropped off.  The finish was about a 1/2 mile away in the William & Mary Track and Field Facility (aka Zable Stadium).  I was fortunate enough to be dropped off so I didn't experence the shuttles however I didn't hear anybody complaining about them during warm-ups.

And promptly at 7:30 am we were off!  To my surprise about 1/2 mile into the race I found myself in Colonial Williamsburg.  It was very cool needless to say.  Flanking us was the old courthouse and armory all while we were being cheered by people on bikes and locals all along the way.  It was a great way to experience all the sights.  

The race opened up to some rolling hills along some of the major roadways to Williamsburg. Down to a turnaround point near the water. Around the eight mile mark a steep hill presented a little challenge, but the motor was running fine with all the waterbreaks supporting us.  The hills did challenge many runners and I saw a good number walking past the 8 mile mark.

The end brought us back into the rear area near Zable Stadium.  A quick run up the hill and a 1/4 mile around the track and your done!  13.1 in the books - for me this was a PR.  Not sure if I was jazzed up from posting a good 10 mi time or what, but I felt compelled to push it.  

The after festivities included two beers, a bunch of food and live music.  It was a great time and again very relaxed atmosphere.  My family was able to find me quite easily and we enjoyed the rest of our day hanging out.   

When its all said and done I would definitely do this run again.  I just wish I took advantage of the free Bush Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg tickets.  Next time I'll spend more time and make a full weekend out of this event.  You won't be sorry if you do the same.  Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment